Pages

Zucchini Blossoms

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

This is a recipe from the author of my current cookbook obsession: A Kitchen in France (recipe here on her blog). Her book is organized by season, which I love, because I try and cook as in season as possible. The window for zucchini blossoms is short and with the storm that rolled in last night, I rushed to pluck these off the plants before they got demolished by the wind and rain. See my modified recipe below!


not the most appetizing picture in the world...but so delicious! and I had to taste-test one of course ;)

Ingredients: 
  • 5 zucchini flowers, stamens removed 
  • 1-1/4 cup flour
  • 1 tsp each salt and pepper 
  • 1 can of cold beer (add in 1/2 cup increments)
  • 5 pieces of cheese, cut to size (I used local Farmer's cheese)
  • 5 pieces of sun-dried tomatoes, packed in oil
  • oil for frying
Directions: 
  • Heat oil in a fry pan
  • While the oil is getting hot, remove the stamens from the flowers, rinse and pat dry
  • Mix together the flour and seasonings and then add in the beer, 1/2 cup at a time until it forms a sticky batter.
  • Stuff the flowers with the cheese and tomato, dip into the batter and then carefully drop into the oil. Cook, turning over, until golden brown.
  • Rest on a paper towel to remove excess oil and serve immediately.
Our herbs, zucchini and pickling cucumbers are already coming in fast so I'm thinking of doing a garden recipe series featuring what's in season and how we're incorporating them into our meals. How is it almost July already?!

1 comment: