Pages

Rhubarb Barbecue Sauce

Thursday, May 7, 2015

For me, the start of each gardening season is marked by bags and bags of fresh rhubarb dropped into our breezeway from our amazing neighbors, Lee & Nancy. Last year, I frantically tried to use it up making pies and crumbles and even bringing it into work to dole out, but I was still left with more than I could handle.

To be better prepared this year, I did some research on ways to use it up (that aren't all desserts) and I stumbled upon some pretty amazing barbecue sauce recipes. Driving home from work and smelling everyone grilling up a storm has me craving my favorite BBQ bean sandwiches which I can't wait to make using this homemade sauce. This recipe makes about 3 cups which can be stored in the fridge for a few weeks, if it lasts that long...


Rhubarb BBQ Sauce
by Heather Kulp
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes

Ingredients (3 cups)
  • 4 cups rhubarb, chopped
  • 1 small onion, diced
  • 10 cups water
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 light brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup raw honey
  • 1 T apple cider vinegar
  • 2 T balsamic vinegar
  • 6 oz tomato paste
  • 1 T stone ground mustard
  • 1 T Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 T maple syrup
  • 1 T chili powder
  • 1/4 t cinnamon
  • 1/2 t cayenne (or to taste)
  • salt and pepper to taste
Instructions
Boil the rhubarb and onion until tender, about 5 minutes. Immediately drain and then blend until smooth
Add puree into large saucepan with all other ingredients, stirring until blended. Season to taste and then add back to blender and pulse until smooth.
Use immediately or let cool and store in refrigerator for up to two weeks.
Powered by Recipage

No comments:

Post a Comment