Pages

our favorite veggie wraps and a belated Easter egg hunt

Wednesday, April 15, 2015

This past weekend we had my family over for both a belated Easter celebration and my mama's birthday.  While we were prepping the food on Sunday morning, I realized that I didn't make myself a vegetarian option (salad and sides wasn't going to cut it!). We quickly brainstormed and came up with these awesome veggie wraps that Ben helped me put together.
Ingredients (for 8 halves):
  • 4 whole wheat tortillas
  • 4 Tbsp hummus
  • a few handfuls of spinach
  • a few handfuls of shredded carrots
  • 1 avocado, diced
  • 1 jar of roasted red peppers
  • 1 jar of oil packed sun-dried tomatoes, cut into thin strips
    Directions:
    Spread one tablespoon of hummus over each tortilla. Layer on the spinach, carrots, peppers, avocado and tomatoes. Wrap it up, cut it in half on a diagonal and ENJOY! These are a bit messy but stay together with the help of some carefully placed toothpicks.


    After dinner, my nieces were practically barreling down the door to search for eggs. Ben and I had hid 15 eggs around the backyard earlier that day and then my grandmother brought an additional 15, all of which were filled with change. I don't know if it's just our family that does this but the big kids love adding it to their piggy banks and little ones love shaking them like maracas. And the parents enjoy no sugar highs I'm sure!


    Although our house is small, I hope we're able to host plenty more holidays and get-togethers here as our family grows over the years. It's strange finally being the person in charge of such things and I always hope I'm doing a good enough job and making it feel like nothing has changed for everyone.

    I know personally, I struggle a lot with watching my family members grow older.  Grown ups always seem invincible to you when you're little. Time stands still with them at a certain age until one day, when you've finished schooling, maybe married and with a place of your own, it's suddenly not that way anymore. You think, where did the time go? How did I miss them going from 60 to 80?

    But maybe that's how everyone feels: children, parents, and grandparents alike.  We're all pushing to get to the next best thing when right now is actually that moment. I hope this space can accurately reflect this time in our lives. While we're both so ready and excited for this next big step, right now is pretty perfect too.


    No comments:

    Post a Comment