Pages

to the chiropractor & thoughts on the first trimester (so far)

Monday, August 24, 2015

7 weeks, 2 days
Monday August 24th, 2015

I've been avoiding it for as long as possible but my neck and upper back are killing me so I finally bit the bullet today and went to the chiropractor. I've gotten multiple recommendations for this particular doctor, and after hearing that she's extra gentle and actually worked on my boss during her whole pregnancy, I decided to make the appointment .

Fast forward to just three hours after I called and I was walking into the doctor's office. Dr. S was so sweet and actually made me cry on my first visit (hormones). I told her I wouldn't normally consider going to the doctor for something so minor, because normally I'd pop double the amount of Ibuprofen and suck it up, but since those options are off the table (and I'm too paranoid to take anything), off to the doctor I went. Near the end of the meet and greet but before we got down to business, she asked me if I had any questions. This is when the water works started and I thanked her for listening to me and taking my concerns about my baby seriously. To have someone validate that - yes, this is scary and all you want to do is protect that new baby of yours, but GOOD LORD you also feel like crap and it's okay to take care of yourself too, really meant something to me.

It's such a gentle balance right now - remembering to take care of yourself and cut yourself a break but also having this giant responsibility thrust upon you too. I guess if I had any advice for moms on the first trimester island (because, yes - it's an island and it's damn isolating sometimes). it's: don't be too hard on yourself. Eat the terrible-for-you cereal if it's the only thing that will settle your stomach. Cry if it makes you feel better. Put yourself first for once. And remember, it will pass.

No comments:

Post a Comment